Many find moving to be very stressful and it makes sense - packing up and moving all of your belongings can be very chaotic! Fresh Start Organizing can help you prepare for your move and help you set up after so you can enjoy your new space.
If you are a do-it-yourself kind of person, below are some suggestions to help minimize the chaos:
● General recommendation is to plan for 150 cubic feet of truck space for every furnished room to be moved. This will help when determining the size of truck needed to transport your belongings.
● Hardware, electrical accessories, etc. should be put in a plastic bag marked with the item it belongs to. This will help with setting up all of electronics and disassembled furniture in your new home.
● Defrost refrigerators/freezers 24-48 hours prior to loading. A bag of coffee bean grounds inside the unit prevents musty odors. This may seem like a nuisance but this will help keep condensation from building in the unit and causing mold to form.
Additionally, we recommend planning your move at both your current and new locations. Here are some tips to help you pack and unpack your space:
Packing at Current Location
● Name the room the contents are coming from, and add a number for multiple bathrooms or bedrooms.
● Mark each box with room name / number the contents are coming from, along with the contents, using a black marker, as illustrated below.
● If the contents are fragile, or the box needs to be one of the first to open, write in red as illustrated below.
● Put a tag, painter’s tape, or sticky note on furniture with room name / number that the piece is coming from.
Preparing New Location
● Mark door or door jamb with room name / number from current location. This lets the movers know where to place the items without you having to be everywhere at one time.